Thursday, October 8, 2009

Writing Club Update

The inaugural meeting of the Writers Block writing club was on October 3rd. We were happy to have participants arrive early that day eager to try it out. Since it was the first meeting we enjoyed a special snack of freshly baked brownies. We did a writing exercise based on the book, I Can’t Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous and Obscure edited by Smith Magazine. I challenged everyone including myself to write a 6 word memoir. Here are a few that we came up with. “I like reading when I’m bored”, “Loves theatre but has stage fright”, “I like soccer, how about you?”, and “Peanut butter cookies and milk, yum”. I think maybe the brownies influenced that last one. It was a lot of fun and we even tried our hand at writing some song lyrics together. Next month we are planning to bring in some writing samples from home to discuss. We would love to have more people join the fun. We meet the first Saturday of each month at 2:30 in the afternoon.